Friday, February 22, 2013

Being my own boss sounded more appealing


Being my own boss sounded more appealing - Alabi

  • Written by  Ruth Olurounbi
The CEO of Cayssis Ltd and 
Creative Director of Club Bar and 
Restaurant Awards (CBR) and 
Nightlife and Hospitality Awards, 
Oladimeji Alabi, schooled in Ibadan 
and the United Kingdom. He started 
doing business before studying 
Access to Media at NESCOT College, 
Epsom and BA(H) Film Production 
at the University of Creative Arts, 
Farnham, the United Kingdom (UK). In this interview with RUTH OLUROUNBI, he speaks on his 
motivation for entrepreneurship.
How long have you been in the UK?
I moved to the UK in 2001 with my siblings to join my parents and I relocated back to Nigeria in 
2010 to make an impact and contribute to my origin, a wonderful nation that I have always believed 
in.

What motivated you into starting your own business?
I have never been an individual that finds comfort in working for someone else. I believe in innovation 
and creativity. I have always had confidence in my ability and I believe I can do all things if I work 
hard, with discipline and with God first. My mother is also an inspiration because she raised us as 
a single parent and she is also an entrepreneur.

How did you get started?
I supplied meatpie when I was 16 years old. I would place order with the producer/manufacturer 
and supply to retailers. Everyone loved the meatpie and the demand grew. My customers also 
related well with me and found me interesting because I was very young and hard working. I 
grew from that and partnered with a friend to supply artworks to corporate organisations.
All this was going on by the side while I was studying. As an outgoing person, I grew passion 
for the nightlife. I managed to secure a permanent night at one of the most prestigious nightclub 
in Manchester (Lime Bar). This venue catered for high end clientele such as investment bankers, 
stock brokers, premiership footballers and other celebrities. I grew from this to doing major gigs 
and concerts in the UK.
My first concert was the UK Tour for Musiq Soulchild. Organising and managing concerts led 
into Storm-tickets. Storm-tickets is a web interface that manages the distribution of event tickets
 and sales for urban events all over UK.
I sold this when I was relocating to Nigeria to organise and manage the first ever event that 
celebrates, rewards and appreciates the nightlife and hospitality industry (Club Bar and 
Restaurant Awards).

How many businesses do you have?
Cayssis is a mother company with branches – event management, film production and 
contemporary photography. We have recently completed a multi-purpose studio in Ibadan 
which will open mid-year. The first edition of Club Bar and Restaurant Awards (CBR Nightlife 
and Hospitality Awards) was held 12-12-12 and will hold every year. The CBR Awards also 
have sub-events such as the annual CBR Chef Competition, CBR Bartender Competition and 
CBR Restaurant Week Lagos.

How old is your company?
I have been a Director of Hannytan Dihal Limited since I was 16 years old. Cayssis Limited 
was registered in 2007.

How were the starting years for you?
The starting years were fun for me. I loved trying things out and I am a very big thinker. I 
only see where I am going not where I am coming from.

How did you cope with the challenges?
I see challenges as a process. I usually see beyond it. I focus more on victory. Look at it as 
your first day in primary school; all you do is enjoy the gradual promotion till you graduate! 
You should expect ups and downs, but you just have to keep going till you achieve your goal.

How is running a company in the UK compared to Nigeria? What are the challenges 
and the fun parts?
Running a business is much easier in the UK because you have all the professional help and 
advice you require. You also have easy access to finance/capital to run a business if you have 
a good idea and a good credit rating.
The government helps creative minds develop and they offer free advice and encourage new 
businesses. We don’t get help or advice in Nigeria. It is very difficult and a big shame. A lot of 
youth, are not being encouraged to be creative or innovative. The government doesn’t help small 
business at all. You have to be connected to achieve most goals here. Nigerians are hardworking 
and intelligent, so many potential but no help and support for those that require it.
Would you say you are successful?
Each time you achieve a goal, you have succeeded. Success is not about money, and if you 
believe success is financial, then you may be setting yourself up for failure. There’s no point to 
being rich if you’re not enjoying yourself and you are more likely to get rich if you’re happy doing 
whatever you’re doing. I am still a young man with ambition and I enjoy what I do. I am still learning 
and growing. I still have so much to accomplish.

What are your assets?
If you have God, you have everything.

Your net worth?
We will let Forbes calculate my net worth when the time comes.

What are your fears?
I only fear God. I have no fear for nothing else. A lot of people fail or don’t make moves because 
of fear. Some do not make moves because of the fear of failure and shame. You can fail, it is ok. 
Dust yourself and keep trying.

How would you advise potential business owners?
You have to be disciplined to run a business. Invest on what will make your business grow and 
not what will collapse your business. Have a good/clear understanding of asset and liability. 
Make sure you enjoy what you do and be good at it. Always remember, Rome is not built in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment